Sunday, March 2, 2014

Spring break, here I come

Hello all,
More complete entries of my recent doings will come soon but for now I am sitting in the Stansted airport enjoying my hour of free wifi and a mocha before my flight boards. I like to think that I'm a pretty seasoned traveler for my age, having been flying since I was about 7. In that time, I've had all sorts of airport adventures. Mostly good ones because I learned early how they work and how to be prepared. That being said, I would like to note how much I love the Stansted airport. Yes, I did have to get up at 5:30 am for a 9:55 flight because it's almost 2 hours away from Kensington, but so far it's worth it. Apart from the fact that my flight is about $100 cheaper than flying out of Heathrow, I'm amazed at how friendly everyone is here. The British are known for being polite, but being used to the US TSA, I wasn't sure what to expect when my backpack was flagged for a check at security. What liquids had I forgotten to put in my small, resealable bag? However, the woman simply explained very kindly that my electronics were packed too closely together (that's what happens when a film major travels) and that they should be removed for a rescan. She even smiled at me and answered my question about which conveyer belt it would be coming out on without seeming annoyed at all. When she had to put my stuff in two bins, she came back to tell me that too and wished me a pleasant flight.
So I headed past security feeling pretty good (once I'd tetrised my camera and such back in the bag)
I was also quite glad I'd flown out of a London airport before and with instructions from my mother because they function very differently than American ones. Instead of sitting at your gate for the time before departure, you sit in a large pre departure lounge and shopping area, watching huge boards to find out where your gate is and when it opens for borarding. You only actually go to your gate about 20 minutes before departure. So I'll be doing that shortly. 
Anyway, that's about it. I'm currently running on about 3 hours of sleep and 2 Monster Energy drinks and a mocha. So I'll either be bouncing or passed out on my flight.
Off to Denmark for spring break! Looking forward to Copenhagen and visiting an old friend! My mother would be appalled because we have very few specific plans and will be mostly winging it. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment